The following information is provided to assist you in gaining employment  in regional  Australia.  Employment requirements differ from job to job, however, below are some useful tips. Always discuss these details with your employer before commencing work.

If you have been employed in Australia you will most probably have a Tax File Number already.  If you need to apply for a TFN, information can be found on the Australian Taxation Office website

An Australian Business Number is a number provided by the Australian Taxation Office for people who are self employed.  Information on how to apply for an ABN can be found on the ATO website   

A current first aid certificate is usually an essential part of employment in the bush.  A first aid certificate will give you the confidence to treat injuries that may be encountered in the Australian bush such as broken limbs, snake/spider bites and allergic reactions.  See Australia Wide First Aid or St John Ambulance  as a starting point for first aid information.

Working with Children Security Checks

Different states of Australia have different requirements for working with children.  What you may require for a job will depend on the state you work in, the family you work for and the job you are doing.  The information below will help link you to the relevant security checks for each state of Australia.

Queensland (Qld) In Queensland people working with children need to hold a Blue Card (apply for a Person Carrying on a Business Blue Card)  

Western Australian In WA a Working with Children Check is required  (self employed)                    

New South Wales In NSW you will need a Working with Children Check   

South Australia In SA people who work with children are required to obtain police clearance before they commence employment.  A National Police Certificate application form is available at

Northern Territory In the NT it is mandatory for people who work with children to hold a Working with Children Clearance Notice and an Ochre Card.

Victoria In VIC it is compulsory for people who wish to work with children to have a Working with Children Check

ACT People who work with children and vulnerable adults must register with a Statutory Screening Unit

Tasmania At present there are no legal requirements for people working with children to undertake a police check in Tasmania, although, organisations which require employees to work with children often have their own policies in place